Try this dish over your favorite pasta. We prefer linguine, but any pasta that holds sauce will do well. The ingredients are easy to find in your local grocery, and feel free to increase the chopped clams to 2 cans if you like lots of clam meat in your sauce.
1 lb of your favorite pasta (cooked al dente)
1 can of chopped (not minced) clams (we like Snows brand)
1 can of baby clams or extra can of chopped clams (optional)
1 bottle of clam juice
1 cup of chicken stock
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
1 medium chopped onion
4 chopped cloves of garlic
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil (divided)
1 medium chopped tomato (remove seeds if desired)
1/2 tsp red chile flakes
Chopped basil to taste
1 Tbsp ground Zen Kampot Black Peppercorns
1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in 2 tbsp of EVOO.
- Once onions are clear, add the clam juice and chicken stock.
- Raise the heat and bring to a boil, then turn the heat back to medium and add the 1/2 stick of butter. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- In the mean time, cook the pasta as directed on the package until al dente. Strain, keeping a cup of the pasta water. Toss with 3 tbsp of EVOO and set aside.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, and flat parsley to the sauce, followed by the baby clams (if used). Allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then add the chopped clams.
- Add chile flakes and chopped fresh basil and top with lemon zest and cracked Zen Kampot Black Peppercorn and kosher salt.
- If needed, you may want to thicken the sauce using some of the retained pasta water and corn starch. DO NOT overcook the sauce, as the clams will become rubbery. Stir well and serve over hot pasta with a Caesar salad.